General Practice Referral to Community Pharmacist Consultation Service (CPCS) - Midlands Engagement Events Wednesday 2nd and Thursday 3rd December 2020
Since NHS 111 referral to CPCS started in October 2019, over half a million consultations for urgent medicines supply and minor illnesses have been successfully completed by community pharmacists across England, thereby increasing capacity in urgent care settings for more complex patients. The scope of CPCS has now been extended so that General Practice can also electronically refer patients with minor illnesses to community pharmacists.
The new service enables practice teams to channel defined minor illness patients directly to a community pharmacist for their first contact where they will receive clinical assessment and advice.
The aim of NHS General Practice Referral to CPCS is to:
- Improve access for patients with minor illnesses and for those with higher acuity illnesses or complex health needs by facilitating quick and convenient consultations with the right healthcare professional in a way that is safe and effective.
- Increase patient awareness of the role of community pharmacy as the ‘first port of call’ for minor illnesses and medicines advice and support the integration of community pharmacy into the primary care network team.
- Identify ways that patients can self-manage their health more effectively with the support of community pharmacists.
- Build and promote shared working within PCNs, creating improved relationships between practices and community pharmacies to deliver high quality and joined up care to patients.
- Be cost effective for the NHS when supporting patients with minor illnesses.
These engagement events are an opportunity for all GPs and their teams, community pharmacists, LMCs, LPCs, CCGs, PCNs and NHSE&I teams to come together, understand more about the service and our Midlands implementation plans. There will be feedback from existing GP referral to CPCS pilot sites in Market Harborough and Stoke on Trent on how it has been for them on the ground. We want to hear your views on the service to help shape our roll out across the Midlands.
We have an afternoon session on 2nd December 13:00 – 14:30 and an evening session 3rd December 19:00 – 20:30 to accommodate as many people as possible who would like to attend. These will be the first in a programme of engagement events to support the roll out of the service across the Midlands Region. The content will be the same on both days so there is no requirement to attend both sessions.
We do hope you will be able to join us to learn more about taking this opportunity for General Practices and Community Pharmacists to work more collaboratively to support improved access for patients and ensure the success of the General Practice Referral to CPCS service across the Midlands.
There is no requirement to confirm your attendance and we encourage you to cascade this invitation to any colleagues you feel would benefit.
To join either event please use the links below.
Wednesday 2nd December 2020 13:00 – 14:30.
Link to Join: Wednesday 2nd December 2020 13:00 – 14:30
Thursday 3rd December 2020 19:00 – 20:30.
Link to Join: Thursday 3rd December 2020 19:00 - 20:30